Business cards are being used less and less as people exchange contact information electronically over email or through social media. But even in today’s advanced digital world, the business card is still the most powerful networking tool. Believer or not, a business card has a more lasting impression than just exchanging contact information. They are a personal marketing tool in a professional or casual environment.
According to Business Insider, “your business card isn’t just a calling card, it’s a snapshot of your brand.” This makes your business card extremely important when making first impressions. Here are some way to maximize and utilize your business cards.
- Make them unique– Create an interesting design, or use an eye-catching pattern. You can even play with textures and shapes. However, depending on your field, it may be best to go for a more traditional card.
- Unique but simple– Try not to clutter your card with information that is not useful. Also, make sure the text is easily readable.
- Add your social information– Meaning your Instagram and Twitter and other social networks.
- Always have a stack on you– Seems obvious, but you never know who you’re going to meet and where. Even in the gym or on the subway.
- Be selective– Quality or Quantity. Don’t just hand your card out to everyone you meet. Talk with people beforehand and make a connection that is worth exchanging cards
- Ask for their card first- It is common courtesy and now you have their information to follow up
- MOST IMPORTANT- FOLLOW UP- Remind them where you met and even if the business isn’t right for you, see if you can help them by connecting them with someone else. Favors go a long way.